A new Microsoft browser?

Recently the news broke that Microsoft may be working on another browser instead of IE. After reviewing the available evidence I’ve come to the conclusion that, although Microsoft is making a few adjustments, and a name change for IE might be a good idea, the new browser will essentially be IE12. Still, I think we web developers should support the “new browser” narrative.

It seems the decision was taken to fork Trident, Microsoft’s rendering engine. One version will essentially be IE11 with all backward-compatible bells and whistles, while the other one will be IE12, although it may carry a different name and will sport a new interface and support extensions. (IE extensions, that is. Not Chrome or Firefox extensions.)

The idea seems to be that Windows 10 will ship both these browsers. The Internet icon on the desktop will start up IE12, while “if a page calls for IE to render in a compatibility mode” IE11 will be started up. I am assuming that what’s meant here is the meta versioning switch.

http://www.quirksmode.org/blog/archives/2014/12/a_new_microsoft.html